Hello,

I would like to report a bug or an issue I've been having with the latest version of adwcleaner 5.105.  I work at a university and have been assisting with malware removal and typically part of the process, we run adwcleaner since it usually does a fantastic job at removing adware.  Essentially we ran into the issue where after running adwcleaner the internet would no longer work.  After some investigation your program runs a winsock reset by default.  This winsock reset process was deleting the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WinSock2 registry folders and sub folders.  

This issue has notably been on Windows 8.1 Enterprise and not Windows 8 Enterprise.  I have not tested it on other operating systems.  I have been able to replicate this issue on on several (at least 8) computers.  While the internet was not working, the computer still was able to obtain a valid IP address and get assigned a dns server.  I was able to ping websites by name but browsers would indicate no internet connectivity.  Doing a winsock reset in cmd.exe and a long list of other commands as well as several programs such as FRST and others were of no help.

Here is a list of the registry keys that were deleted by running adwcleaner, and restoring these keys, the internet connectivy issue that we saw was corrected.  I did not go though all of them to find out specifically which one was breaking the internet.

The list can be viewed here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxG0eJxl5S_JbWxqd0dSUHZfUVE/view?usp=sharing since posting them took up too many characters.

Please let me know if you need any more information or if I can help further.

Re: Internet issues after running adwcleaner Winsock2 being deleted

Hello,

Currently AdwCleaner deletes only Winsock2 orphan entries ( the ones that points to a files that has been deleted ). It also does a "netsh winsock reset" but I don't think this last command can break the internet connection.

Do you have AdwCleaner's cleaning logfile ? Can you post it here ?

Regards,

I will post them as soon as possible, I will be unable to do so for the coming week.

Hello,

I'm having something simmilar happen to me when using adw cleaner.

Frequently when I have run adwcleaner after the reboot it takes very long for the user to login. After the login process Windows will give a notification "failed to connect to windows service". I'm not sure what service it was but probably the user profile service. It will not be possible to connect to the internet with any browser.

I can always solve this problem by running "netsh winsock reset" in an elavated command prompt. It will give the message that nshhttp.dll is missing when performing the winsock reset. After the reset and a reboot everything is back to normal.

This is a problem I have been seeing with adwcleaner for a couple of months already with many versions of Windows (Vista, 7, 8, 10). But didnt think much of it cause it has an easy fix and I like using adwcleaner.

But recently I have been having an extra problem on top of this problem that I can't find an easy fix for. I get all the same symptoms that I mentioned before but the extra problem of Internet Explorer starting but the page remaining white for 10 seconds and then IE just closing. Running Internet Explorer in safe mode, running Windows in safe mode, uninstalling IE and completely resetting IE all have no effect. I'm sure I have had this problem in Windows 8 and I believe I have had it in Windows 7 also but not sure anymore. think I've been having this problem for 2 or 3 weeks now.

The only fix I have found for the problem is going back to a restore point or updating windows to Windows 10 if that is desireable.

I have looked through the adwcleaner log to find anything that could be causing the problem. It was in one case removing just a couple of files from a program that comes with preinstalled Lenovo notebooks, that probably monitors user behavior or something, about 30-40 registry keys/values and nothing mentioned in the browser tabs. Thinking it must be one of the registry keys I restored the computer to a previous date ran adwcleaner again and removed only the preinstalled Lenovo program with it leaving all the registry things on the pc. On reboot the IE problem was again there. This is leading me to believe it has nothing to do with anything adwcleaner is removing and is listed in the log file but something that adwcleaner does behind the scenes.

I unfortunately no longer have any of the log files to show you. But if have this problem again I will post one. Not sure I will have any new logs because this has scared me into not using adwcleaner anymore at the moment.

Just wanted to mention my problem here as well because it sounds similar to the problem you are having. Sorry for hijacking your thread.

Kind regards

Frederik Cretel

Hello,

If you still experience any issue with AdwCleaner, please keep the logfile and post them as this is the only way for me to debug and find what is wrong.

In v5.104 I added the list of Winsock2 entries deleted at the bottom of the logfile, so that I can check if there is a legit entry that has been deleted and correct it.

You're right, AdwCleaner does minor things behind what is written to the logfile such as cleaning DNS cache, but most of the time, it is written on the logfile. The issue you are speaking about regarding IE leads me to think that it could be related to an option of AdwCleaner which is enabled by default ( Winsock reset probably ? )

Regards,

Hello Xplode,

Thanks for your time looking into this matter.  I apologize I was away and not able to assist shortly after reporting this issue.  I had noticed that you had released a couple of newer versions while I was away, so I downloaded and ran the newest one 5.109, but the issue persisted.  Please note that I am not deleting any files or folders that your program detects (as there are some).  Here is a shared folder with the log files: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BxG0eJxl5S_JYnpBUUFJWFBzWkU&usp=sharing.

Interesting note, I read Frederiks response, while the issue does not sound exactly like the one I am experiencing (netsh winsock reset did not restore internet connectivity) we are both on Lenovo computers.  But, again, I'm not deleting any folders or files as he is.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can assist with.

Hello,

Did you uncheck "Reset Winsock Settings" before doing the "clean" mode ? If AdwCleaner had deleted Winsock entries, they should be listed on the logfile and this is not the case here.

I think it'll be helpful if you could do a snapshot of the registry before AdwCleaner's cleaning and after. You can use a software like RegShot ( https://sourceforge.net/projects/regshot/ ).

With the snapshot, we could see exactly which key AdwCleaner modified or deleted during the cleaning.

Regards,

I did not uncheck the "Reset Winsock Settings", and originally discovered this issue only happens when this is checked.  I did a comparison of registry files before and after and saw that the major difference in the two was the deletion of the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WinSock2 registry folders and sub folders - literally everything in that was deleted.

Here is the comparison of the before and after of adwcleaner: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxG0eJxl5S_JelphZGlEckhvcnc/view?usp=sharing

While trying to investigate this further, I was able to narrow down further specifically what is being deleted inside the Winsock2 hive that is causing my issue: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxG0eJxl5S_Jek9aTjhhV05YR2s/view?usp=sharing

Best,

Thank you for this report. Can you try running inside a cmd prompt "reg copy /?" and tell me what is printed ?

C:\WINDOWS\system32>reg copy /?

REG COPY KeyName1 KeyName2 [/s] [/f] [/reg:32 | /reg:64]

KeyName    [\\Machine\]FullKey     Machine  Name of remote machine - omitting defaults to the current machine.              Only HKLM and HKU are available on remote machines.     FullKey  ROOTKEY\SubKey     ROOTKEY  [ HKLM | HKCU | HKCR | HKU | HKCC ]     SubKey   The full name of a registry key under the selected ROOTKEY.

/s         Copies all subkeys and values.

/f         Forces the copy without prompt.

/reg:32    Specifies the key should be accessed using the 32-bit registry              view.

/reg:64    Specifies the key should be accessed using the 64-bit registry              view.

Examples:

REG COPY HKLM\Software\MyCo\MyApp HKLM\Software\MyCo\SaveMyApp /s     Copies all subkeys and values under the key MyApp to the key SaveMyApp

REG COPY \\ZODIAC\HKLM\Software\MyCo HKLM\Software\MyCo1     Copies all values under the key MyCo on ZODIAC to the key MyCo1     on the current machine

Good Job, that did it for me.  I would definately say that it is better!

Ok, thanks. I will add this bug fix in v5.110 which will be online in the next days !

Regards,

I've been on holiday havn't had any time to test your updated version. Probably will get a chance to use it in a couple of days and keep you posted Xplode.

Hello,

You can try this specific version of AdwCleaner, and tell me if it's ok with it

Regards,

Hello,

v5.110 is online and should definitely fix this issue. Can you try with this new version and tell me if it's still ok ?

Regards,

same problem here i have lost my connection after use adwcleaner by chance i have imported winsock and winsock2 from my windows 10 regedit on my windows 7 and it work again, i'm afraid to use it now

ryukoken : can you share the logfile (in C:\AdwCleaner) ?

Thanks,

# AdwCleaner v5.035 - Rapport créé le 20/02/2016 à 20:18:40
# Mis à jour le 18/02/2016 par Xplode
# Base de données : 2016-02-20.3 [Serveur]
# Système d'exploitation : Windows 7 Ultimate Service Pack 1 (x64)
# Nom d'utilisateur : Administrateur - ADMINISTRATEUR
# Exécuté depuis : C:\Users\Administrateur\Desktop\adwcleaner_5.035.exe
# Option : Nettoyer
# Support : http://toolslib.net/forum

***** [ Services ] *****

***** [ Dossiers ] *****

[x] Dossier Non Supprimé : C:\Users\Administrateur\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\t617au95.default-1443136078261\Extensions\{AF445D67-154C-4c69-A17B-7F392BCC36A3}

***** [ Fichiers ] *****

***** [ DLLs ] *****

***** [ Raccourcis ] *****

***** [ Tâches planifiées ] *****

***** [ Registre ] *****

[-] Clé Supprimée : HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\DOMStorage\ask.com
[-] Clé Supprimée : HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\DOMStorage\pconverter.dl.tb.ask.com

***** [ Navigateurs ] *****

:: Clés "Tracing" supprimées
:: Paramètres Winsock réinitialisés

########## EOF - C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[C1].txt - [1123 octets] ##########
# AdwCleaner v5.109 - Rapport créé le 10/04/2016 à 21:28:03
# Mis à jour le 04/04/2016 par Xplode
# Base de données : 2016-04-10.1 [Serveur]
# Système d'exploitation : Windows 7 Ultimate Service Pack 1 (x64)
# Nom d'utilisateur : Administrateur - ADMINISTRATEUR
# Exécuté depuis : C:\Users\Administrateur\Desktop\adwcleaner_5.109.exe
# Option : Nettoyer
# Support : http://toolslib.net/forum

***** [ Services ] *****

***** [ Dossiers ] *****

[x] Dossier Non supprimé : C:\Users\Administrateur\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\t617au95.default-1443136078261\extensions\{AF445D67-154C-4c69-A17B-7F392BCC36A3}

***** [ Fichiers ] *****

***** [ DLLs ] *****

***** [ Raccourcis ] *****

***** [ Tâches planifiées ] *****

***** [ Registre ] *****

[-] Clé supprimée : HKCU\Software\WIN
[-] Clé supprimée : HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\DOMStorage\chatango.com
[-] Clé supprimée : HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\DOMStorage\st.chatango.com

***** [ Navigateurs ] *****

[x] [C:\Users\Administrateur\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\t617au95.default-1443136078261\prefs.js] [Preference] Non supprimée : user_pref("datareporting.sessions.previous.2004", "{\"s\":1460234544703,\"a\":26,\"t\":1061,\"c\":true,\"m\":1039,\"fp\":3384,\"sr\":3782}");

:: Clés "Tracing" supprimées
:: Paramètres Winsock réinitialisés

C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[C10].txt - [1163 octets] - [31/01/2016 09:02:56]
C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[C1].txt - [2753 octets] - [20/02/2016 21:18:40]
C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[S17].txt - [1031 octets] - [27/12/2015 00:55:10]
C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[S18].txt - [1031 octets] - [31/01/2016 09:00:46]
C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[S1].txt - [2939 octets] - [20/02/2016 20:58:03]

########## EOF - C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[C1].txt - [3051 octets] ##########

the log say i used adwcleaner_5.035 version but is wrong i have been redirected here to download adwcleaner_5.109 it's this one who make me this bug