I've used AdwCleaner 126.96.36.199 BETA2 on my PC (Windows 10 Pro x64) and I've encountered no problem with (except the alert box about outdated (beta) version you've just to cancel and "Quarantine bug").
Are you sure of integrity of binary file you've downloaded? MD5 checksum correct value for v188.8.131.52 beta2 must be: ce116e89dfb4b0df2a4128b0f8470e36
If the downloaded file is good, perhaps AdwCleaner stop because a problem encountered when scanning your PC:
- corrupted file(s) on your system or invalid key(s) in Windows registry?
- another utility present in Windows (antivirus/antimalwares) protecting access to some system files?
- hardware failure (disk/RAM)?
Perhaps it can help you:
- go to C:\AdwCleaner folder.
- edit the settings.ini file to add the line: DebugMode=1
- the next time you'll launch AdwCleaner, the AdwCleaner_Debug.log file will be created.
- but it's more easy to go to options menu in AdwCleaner to activate Debug mode.