user_avatar****

Hi,

Just installed AdwCleaner v5.007 and ran it for first time.

I've uploaded the report here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4019461/AdwCleaner%5BC3%5D.txt

I'd appreciate advice on three points please:

1. Deleted folder

I don't understand how I should interpret these entries: ***** [ Folders ] *****

[-] Folder Deleted : C:\Docs\radio
[!] Folder Not Deleted : C:\Docs\radio

The first seems contradicted by the other two!

Anyway, the more important point is that the folder has been removed, although I did not allow for that. I allowed only for certain files or subfolders to be removed.

2. Firefox profile changed or deleted

To my dismay, on re-opening my browser there were major changes. I've recovered using a recent backup. (I suppose I could have used the quarantined folder instead, but I'd seen posts here about it being slow? I don't see why it should be, but that's another topic!)

As you see from the report, my intention was to remove only very specific stuff, such as invalidprefs.js, StumbleUpon and FoxTab. But several other things changed too, including the appearance of my tabs, etc.

3. Removed unwanted adware?

I'm hoping that unwanted adware will also have been removed, such as OpenCandy, which was my reason for running AdwareCleaner. But the report does not seem to mention that?

-- Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Re: New user - puzzling behaviour

91 views - but no one with any answers?

P.S. Just noticed that USA flag icon alongside my name??

Greetings terrypin,

first of all, sorry for the delay of my answer.

1. Deleted folder

I don't understand how I should interpret these entries: ***** [ Folders ] *****

[-] Folder Deleted : C:\Docs\radio

terrypin, 2015-09-14 07:46:49 (UTC)

Folder is deleted one time but AdwCleaner just made some duplicates by mistake I suppose. It might be caused by a generic detection, I don't know yet. But has you said, at least this folder doesn't exists any more and that's just what we want. :) I'm sure Xplode will take a look at it, don't worry.

2. Firefox profile changed or deleted

To my dismay, on re-opening my browser there were major changes. I've recovered using a recent backup. (I suppose I could have used the quarantined folder instead, but I'd seen posts here about it being slow? I don't see why it should be, but that's another topic!)

As you see from the report, my intention was to remove only very specific stuff, such as invalidprefs.js, StumbleUpon and FoxTab. But several other things changed too, including the appearance of my tabs, etc.

terrypin, 2015-09-14 07:46:49 (UTC)

Since a while now, AdwCleaner removes entries contained into Firefox's profile cleverly (without erasing the whole file). Can you give us more details about "appearance of my tabs, etc." ?

P.S. Just noticed that USA flag icon alongside my name??

terrypin, 2015-09-16 13:01:39 (UTC)

USA flag is the default flag used for english speaking users. You're right, we should suggest English (UK)/English (USA). But translations are the same in both cases.

Regards,

Thanks for the reply, but it leaves my main points unanswered.

DELETED FOLDER"

But has you said, at least this folder doesn't exists any more and that's just what we want. :)"

No, I said the opposite! I did not want this entire folder removed, with its many subfolders.

Nor do I understand you explanation about 'duplicates'. I asked why the first line 'Folder deleted' is contradicted by the other two 'Folder Not Deleted'.

I don't understand your sentence about 'Xplode'?

FIREFOX

Examples of changed appearance included text colours and tab groups. IOW, some important profile files had been changed apart from those needed.

UNWANTED ADWARE

You haven't answered this. Why does the report not specify the unwanted adware, including OpenCandy?

Okay, sorry I misunderstood what you were saying about that folder. You should be able to restore it thanks to the Quarantine Manager. Can you send us the Scan Report in order to investigate what caused the issue ?

When I read those three lines, it seems that the folder has been deleted on the first line and it can't be deleted once more.

Xplode is the developer behind AdwCleaner.

Did you unchecked lines before launching the Cleaning Part ?

--

Concerning the unwanted adware not being removed, we will have to wait an answer from Xplode.

Regards.

"Can you send us the Scan Report in order to investigate what caused the issue ?"

Wasn't that what I sent in my original post?

Hello, it was the Cleaning report.

Regards.